Monday, April 20, 2015

Migration!

Okay, so the photos in this post aren't the best, but I'm still really excited about the migrants!

Watching these weather maps, it really gets me excited to see the masses of little blue blips flare along the Gulf Coast and the southern tip of Florida. Thousands of tiny birds are racing their way north, trying to reach their breeding grounds before their rivals. These feathered jewels brighten the forests with their color and song, and as I've ranted, us the winter-weary birders are eager to greet them.

Except, I need to go greet them.

I started Driver's Ed for a few weeks, which means basically I'm stuck at school for another two and a half hours. Which means no more after-school walks. Ugh.

But here are a few migrants I've been seeing, despite the fact I haven't been able to bird as much as I want.

First, let's start things off from the beach. If you remember the Painted Bunting, while I was in Myrtle Beach I saw a few migrants, including Eastern Kingbird and Chimney Swifts.

Prairie Warbler
I also saw a cooperative female Prairie Warbler and quite a few Ruby-throated Hummingbird males.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird at Red Buckeye
I also saw a few Yellow-throated Warblers as well.

Yellow-throated Warbler (Yellow lored)
Back at the patch, I found a few boisterous White-eyed Vireos, who basically yelled their explosive song from the cover of privet.



A few Common Yellowthroats returned, but they were skulkier than usual.

And last but not least, a new bird for me- my lifer Northern Waterthrush! I always love getting lifers at my patch!

I've also been hearing Hooded Warblers and Northern Parulas at the patch too!

And most recently, yesterday was another trip to Pee Dee, this time with a few other members of the CYBC. We heard a TON of migrants, but only saw a scant few-like these Prothonotary Warblers and American Redstart.




Next Saturday I'm going to be helping out with the Spring Count, which is basically the Christmas Bird Count, but in spring! Hopefully we'll see more than hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment